Construction Technology & Management
Construction Technology and management apply scientific, technical and management knowledge to the processes used to construct infrastructure projects. Graduates in Construction technology and management can apply their broader knowledge to the Built environment sector. The instructional program is highly interdisciplinary and aims at developing strong abilities to conduct construction engineering and management work involving basic concepts and principles, technical analysis, planning, design, and management, and the development of knowledge that positively impacts the Built environment sector. The program provides the student with skills in planning, designing, and implementing construction processes and systems. The course offerings provide both a broad awareness of construction concepts and an understanding of scientific, technical and managerial knowledge to address construction problems.
Program Educational Objectives
- Practice engineering in a broad range of industrial, societal and real-world applications.
- Pursue advanced education, research and development, and other creative and innovative efforts in science, engineering, and technology, as well as other professional careers.
- Conduct themselves in a responsible, professional, and ethical manner.
- Participate as leaders in their fields of expertise and in activities that support service and economic development throughout the world.
- Technical and management knowledge : An ability to apply knowledge of science, Engineering, technology and management to the solution of complex problems.
- Problem analysis: An ability to identify, formulate, review and analyze and solve complex built environment problems
- Design & development of solutions: An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- Analysis, Design and Research: An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- Modern tool usage: An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
- The society and culture: Contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the Built environment sector.
- Environment and sustainability: The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contex
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the professional practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Whether it’s a residential high-rise or a major airport, project managers play a key role throughout the delivery process.
The course is a full time 4- years and 8 semesters programme including practical training and project work in the last year. Students are taught to manage the resources of the project primarily Human resources, Materials, Machinery and Finance and supervise the project work by understanding the building codes, blueprints, legal issues, surveying, construction methods, and construction materials differing construction techniques , mechanical systems and develop the skill in the associated programme. Students will get an exposure on different things such as contracts, subcontracts, safety, quantity surveying and financial management.
The university is equipped with state of art infrastructure labs such as,
- Construction Practice Workshop.
- English and Foreign languages Lab.
- Computer Aided design Laboratory.
- Concrete Technology Laboratory
- Soil Mechanics Lab.
- Strength of Materials Laboratory.
- Surveying Laboratory.
- Project management Information Systems Lab.
In India, organized construction industry is in the starting phase and hence offers vast opportunities to construction management professionals. A course in construction management trains techno managers to be leader in construction work management and open vistas to rich career avenues.
Construction Management students are recruited by the best Project Management Consultants such as Reliance Infrastructure, SPCL, Turner & Townsend, Tahal Group, Tata Projects, Ahluwalia Contracts GMR, CBRE, JLL, AECOM. Many students secure jobs at Architectural firms, building contractors, Engineering forms and specialty trade companies.
Job roles such as
- Construction Manager
- Site Manger
- General Contractor
- Cost Estimator
- Facilities Engineer
- Building Inspector
- Project Analyst
- Project Consultant
- Quantity Surveyor.
- Contract Administrator.
- Quality Inspector.
- Construction Planner.
- Project Analyst.
- Construction Manager.
Master’s in Construction Management
Master’s in Project Management
Master’s in Contracts Management
Master’s in Building Technology
Masters in BIM Management
Master’s in real estate and Urban Infrastructure Management
Master’s in construction project management
Master’s in construction economics and Quantity Surveying
Masters in Contemporary smart city development and Management
Few of the institutes offering higher or specialized courses in India are,
National Institute of Construction Management and Research Center
School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi, Vijayawada and Bhopal
CEPT University, Ahmedabad