BUILDING TECHNOLOGIES & SERVICES
The school of planning and architecture offers B.Tech. in Facilities and Services Planning (FSP)/ Building Technology Services (BTS) full-time degree program. It is an interdisciplinary course, which relates to design, planning and maintenance of residential, commercial, hospitality, healthcare and institutional buildings, such as convention centers for an example. Duties may include the care of Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, electric power, plumbing, fire safety and protection and lighting systems.
The curriculum is structured for 4 years and is divided into 8 semesters. The (1 to7) semesters consists of full-time study and workshops followed by practical training in professional offices and field visits. The 8th Semester consists of a full project in areas like planning, design, HVAC, fire detection and fire fighting systems etc,.
FSP is an interdisciplinary engineering design, construction, operation, renovation, and maintenance of buildings, as well as with their impact on the surrounding environment. The descipline requires pertinent knowledge integrated from traditional well-established disciplines such as,
- Civil Engineering for building structures and foundations.
- Mechanical Engineering for Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning system (HVAC) and Transportation systems in Building
- Environmental Engineering for Green Building Concepts and understanding Environmental Impacts of Built Environment
- Automation Engineering for Building Automation
- Physics for building science, Lighting and Acoustics
- Chemistry and Biology for Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Electrical Engineering for power distribution, control and electrical systems
- Architecture for form, function, building codes and specifications
- Economics for Project Management.
This degree gives the students a variety of professional options. Both public and private sector offer a range of jobs.
- Planning Sectors (Urban and Rural planning and GIS Engineers Design Industries)
- Consultants for large architecture projects, project design, graphic design, Industrial design etc,.
- Construction (Project management building designers, environmental designers, construction engineers for MEP services, etc,.
- Software Industry, development of MEP services layouts
Building Services engineers work closely with other construction professionals like architects, structural engineers and quantity surveyors. The administer commissioning for sustainable and energy Efficient buildings. Within building services new roles are emerging in the areas of renewable energy, sustainability, low carbon technologies and energy management.:
With buildings accounting for 50% of all carbon emissions, building services engineer has a wide-ranging career path in
- Design: Designing layouts and requirements for
building services for residential and commercial developments
- Construction: Supervising construction of building services,
commissioning systems and ongoing maintenance and operation
- Environmental: Developing new energy saving methods of
construction, designing new and improved energy conservation
sytems for building
- Heating, ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC): Specializing
in the design, development, construction and operation of
- Electrical Technology: Specializing in the design and development
of electrical systems required for safe and energy sustaining
operation of buildings.